Aofw.Org Forum Index
Thanks to Nurohila for the image!
Aofw.Org
The Aofw.Org community board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messagesCharacter ProfileCharacter Profile   Log inLog in 
Welcome to the forum for Aofw.Org!

The Past and Present
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aofw.Org Forum Index -> The Animals of Farthing Wood
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael
Site Admin

[ Character Info ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: The Past and Present Reply with quote

I started this fan fiction on the farthingwood.net message board, so the first 2 chapters are exported from there.

The past and the present
Chapter I - It never rains but snows

On a cheerful and quiet day, a Hare was running through a forest. Moving left and right as fast as the eye could see, most animals saw it as grey blur. When it reached where it needed to go, it stopped so suddedly, it was like it appeared from no where. It arrived at a old earth, apparently abandoned for seasons and seasons. Sniffing around, the hare realised where it was. This was the earth of a fox couple that had lived here a long time ago but who, the hare couldn't be sure. The hare ran back to report it.

Sleeping in a earth along with a fox, a badger was there. He moved slowly in his sleep as dreaming wasn't a pleasurable experience at the time. Then the hare burst in, tumbling over the fox in the process.
Waking up promptly, he snapped "Watch where you are going!". This also woke up the badger in the process and he yelled, "Whats happening?". Seeing the hare, he lowered his voice.
"I am sorry, what have you found Fleet?". Fleet took in a breath and said what he had to say,
"I found it." The Badger was confused. "Found what?" Fleet looked hard at the Badger and felt some pity for him. He hadn't been the same since the fall...
"I found the place you asked me to find." The fox was now intrigued,
"Found what?" he asked impaitently.
"White Deer Park!"

A few hours later, a motly crew of animals gathered at a rock within a copse. Some were rather wary of the other, bigger animals but came anyway. The Fox, known as Relaint, took to the rock and climbed it. Strangely, this was familiar to him having never done this before...
"A while back, Our resident Badger, Verdiral, asked Fleet to find a place that he came from..." Reliant started. Some of the animals were intrested but some of the others were not. "... where we all came from."
"What has this got to do with all of us?" a rabbit called out. Reliant looked at him distastefuly but continued anyway,
"Did your parents ever tell you where you came from?" A variety of shaking heads stirred through the group, "Well, Fleet found it! He found White Deer Park, our parents home!". The animals stirred and happy voices began to rouse through the group but Fleet looked on nevervously, he hadn't told Verdiral or Reliant something. He moved upto Reliant and whispered something in his ear. He looked at Fleet worringly and then looked, a little frightened, at the happy group. Could he tell them what Fleet had just said?

Chapter II - The truth be known

Walking through the copse, Reliant was uncertain. While he was pleased that Fleet had found White Deer Park, what he had mentioned to him didn't. Troubled, he headed to the nearby pond for a drink and for clarity. The cold water did refresh him but it didn't provide what he wanted for his mind. Looking at the wobbly reflection in the water, he wasn't certain how to put it to the animals of the copse.

"Are you Ok?" Asked Verdiral kindly. Reliant turned to him and tried his best to keep a straight face. "Yes, I am fine." The lie went through his mouth painfully. Verdiral looked at him and wasn't sure that what he said was true. "Are you sure of that?" he asked back. The fox didn't want this pressure but he couldn't also tell the badger of what Fleet had told him. Turning back to the pond and his reflection, he muttered, "Yes." Verdiral himself wasn't totally convinced but he had known Reliant long enough to know what to do and so he left.

Lying down next to the pond, Reliant spent hours trying to convince himself to tell Verdiral and the rest of the Animals what Fleet had told him. As much as he had to tell them, he couldn't. Peering into the reflection in the water, he seemed to be the only animal he could talk to about this.

"You have to tell them." The reflection seemed to say. Reliant tried to not listen but he could not stop himself from listening to himself.

"I cannot. It would break their hearts to know what happened." He mumbled back to the reflection.

"You cannot lie to them. It was as much as their parents home as it was yours." Reliant thrusted his paw into the pond to rid of the reflection but it seemed to stay. Suddenly, a small squirrel popped out of the bush, tumbling into Reliant's back. He knocked forwards and landed in the water. As he scrambled to get out of the water, the squirrel laughed. "Urgh..." Reliant growled.

"He he he, sorry!" Laughed the young squirrel and as she laughed, another squirrel ran out the bush and yelled 'Found you!'. Reliant just shuffled slightly and let the second squirrel run past him. Then the quiet came and it bothered Reliant. Although he could hear nature in the background, it wasn't comforting.
"You look like you could use the company." A voice came from behind. It was Fleet.
"How do you cope?" The fox asked, "I mean, you found out first and you look fine."
The hare just smiled vainly. "I don't know. All I do know that you do have to tell the animals the truth." The mere mention of it just scorched Reliant's mind.

A few days later, the animals convened at the rock and as Reliant took a breath to make the announcement, a vision of the image that Fleet had told him burned him.
"I... I have something to say." He started. Being a bigger animals, the animals took notice. "As you know, Fleet found White Deer Park... our parents home... but there is something you should know..." The animals watched on expectedly. "Humans have burnt some of the park. Our home is just dust and ash."

The expectation vanished.

"You lie!" Shouted Verdiral, "White Deer Park could never be destroyed!" The rest of the animals became worried and unsure who's side to take.
"I haven't lied!" Reliant yelled back, "Fleet told me!" Verdiral now was unsure of himself. He was friends with Fleet and normally believed what he said but he didn't want to believe what Reliant had told him. Fleet looked on desperately at Verdiral, waiting for his next move. The deadlock was ready to rip the animals apart but then Verdiral just started to move away from the tortured fox. Some of the animals went with him but Fleet, along with a few rabbits, stayed with Reliant.
"So... what are you going to do now?" asked Fleet nervously. Reliant looked woefully on him and was about to say but then a pinecone fell on his back. With a almightly yelp and some frantic snarling at the defenseless pinecone, he whacked it into a nearby bush. The rabbit and Fleet ran. Reliant was on his own.

"Why... Why?"
"Come back..."
LadyFox
Site Admin

[ Character Info ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh! Tense! Very Happy When are you going to post the other chapters?

Just thought I'd use something more, relative! Very Happy
Michael
Site Admin

[ Character Info ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyFox wrote:
Oooh! Tense! Very Happy When are you going to post the other chapters?

When I write them... I've started chapter III
Myrkin

[ Character Info ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is good piece of work. I'm waiting for next chapter... Smile

I was thinking... If the animals have never heard about White Deer Park from their parents, so why they become so much happy when they get information from Reliant? After all they have no mamories or legends conected with Park... (or you just didnt wrote about it Smile )
Michael
Site Admin

[ Character Info ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myrkin wrote:
This is good piece of work. I'm waiting for next chapter... Smile

I was thinking... If the animals have never heard about White Deer Park from their parents, so why they become so much happy when they get information from Reliant? After all they have no mamories or legends conected with Park... (or you just didnt wrote about it Smile )

Maybe becuase they heard stories about White Deer Park and becuase their parents came from there, the animals liked the idea.

Chapter III - The reconciling storm

The animals had never been so confused. They knew that Verdiral was upset and being a badger, they tended to side with him yet they have never known Reliant to lie.... ever. They couldn't decide on what they were to do.

Fleet, the hare of the animals, was looking for Reliant. Knowing that Verdiral wasn't going to be happy with his intentions, he kept it to himself. However, his best intentions were not working. He couldn't find Reliant and no other animal knew where he was too. It seemed he had vanished from the copse.

Weeks past and although life in the copse slowly returned to a form of normality, Verdiral was slowly becoming ill. The toll of the events had caused him to become very ill and although animals tried too help, he didn't get better. Verdiral couldn't sleep and the exhaustion was getting to him. Fleet tried his best to help but he knew what would make him somewhat better... Reliant.
"Please... Verdiral. Let me find..." Fleet was interrupted by a tired, hoarse voice,
"No. He lied. It cannot be gone."

That night, a storm was brewing. Fleet and the rest of the animals were doing their best to prepare themselves for the storm but as they prepared for the storm, Reliant was miles away. Stuck near a town and a farmer's field, he felt miserable. He told the animals what he knew but they, mostly Verdiral, had rejected it. He knew that he told the truth... or had he? Maybe it was the thundering rain or the dark sky but he doubted not only himself but Fleet too.
Why would he lie? Did he lie? Did I lie?
The thunder gave a response. Reliant looked at the copse, a near enough place to be real but far enough away to be a dream and made up his mind. He would find out if Fleet had told the truth.

Fleet was wary in his burrow. The storm was far from his mind, Reliant was closer. As fast as he could run, he couldn't go out in the storm to find the fox. He niether knew where he went or could track him right now. This frustrated Fleet and the more he tried to push it away from his mind, the more it just sidled up to him. Suddenly, a thunder strike hit the copse. A large bang boomed its way through it and something fell onto the ground. Fleet could only dread where it landed.

Verdiral was uncomfortable and agitated. The combination of lack of sleep and insetting regret was coming in fast, making him feel dreadful. The storm wasn't helping either with the constant sound of thudding water and violet claps. The badger just wearily looked on at the entrance.
That fox lied. He lied. He lied... he lied.
Without warning, a violent bolt of light struck a nearby tree. The noise was deafening and as the badger made a hasty retreat to the back of the set, a large, heavy branch fell. With a crunch, it shattered the entrance to the set. Verdiral was trapped!

The morning came and the animals, having all heard the noise, rushed to the badger. When they got there, Verdiral could hear them as he shouted "Help! Get me out!!"
"Don't worry!", yelled Fleet, "We'll get you out!" But his pre-mature promise hit a wall. With the departure of Reliant, none of the animals were capable of pushing the branch away. There was only one option.
"Come on!" Shouted Fleet to the diggers of the group, "Help me!"
So Fleet, the rabbits and the squirrels started to dig. Within moments, they made a hole and soon it was big enough for the badger to get through. Scared, he nervously moved upto it and started to go through. As he went though though, he knocked a bit of rock and the hole creaked.
"Come on!" Yelled Fleet and with a big yank, pulled the badger through the hole before it collasped with a silencing thud.
"Thank you..." Huffed Verdiral. He looked at Fleet and whispered something,
"I was wrong. Re...Reliant wouldn't have lied about that. He... heh, he only said what you said and you, my dear friend, would have said the truth."
Fleet just looked at him with twinkling eyes.

Later on that day, after assesing the damage, the animals gathered near the rock and Verdiral looked at them all.
"Animals, friends." He started, "Today has... has brought us alll together, except one." Verdiral started. As he talked, his fear for the fox grew, "I know what I said was wrong, for he was only the messenger. We need to find him!" The animals looked on worringly.
"Are you mad?!" Yelled a rabbit from the group, "A fox eats us if you haven't forgotten! If he didn't when he was here, when we find him, he'll definitely do it then!"
"Can you be certain of that?" Verdiral questioned back. The aged face of the badger pireced the head of the rabbit. Verdiral had to be right. The rabbit backed down.
"Good." Verdiral said, "We look for him first thing tommorow."
The animals were not convinced but trusted Verdiral to say the truth.
Michael
Site Admin

[ Character Info ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapter IV - The battle with the mind

The morning rose from the storm and Reliant still looked on at the copse from time to time. Although he felt exhausted, he was sure that he was right. Looking at the copse, he felt that the decision to go to White Deer Park was correct. But how could he make it to White Deer Park? It was far away and he was only one fox. One miserable, lonley fox. Stretching out, he made a plan. He would first catch something to eat and then start making his way. But he had no real idea about where to go.

Trotting through the field, looking for his meal, his mind was thrusting left, right and centre. Muttering to himself seemed to keep the mind a bay.
Its thier fault, stupid animals. If they cannot take the truth, let them!
"B...But its not their fault..."
No, of course not. Its that badger! He turned them away.
"Its not his fault though... he must have been devestated when he knew."
So why did he not shout at Fleet then?
"B...B...But..."
WHY?
Reliant couldn't say anything. His mind was arguing with himself so he shook himself to try and remove the argument from his head.

After catching a nearby vole, Reliant went to find a animal who would know where White Deer Park. A rook was perched in a tree nearby and being a bird, he would have been around the area. So the fox chose him but the argument had changed into self-doubt. Sitting at the base of the tree, he called up to the bird,
"E...Excuse me."
I hope he knows
"Yes?" Asked the rook.
"Do you k..know the way to White Deer Park?" Reliant stammered.
"Indeed I do! Its in that direction." The rook replied, pointing at a far away group of trees, "Although I don't know why. Its a ruined place."
Ruined?
"W..What do you mean?" Reliant asked back, although he was certain of the answer.
"The place was burnt. Humans they say using some kind of glowing white stick that they put in their mouth and smoke comes out of it." The rook replied back unknowing of the cascade of thoughts that exploded within the foxs head.
It wasn't me! I didn't lie!
Running to the trees, Reliant yelled back,
"Thanks you!"

Running through the seemlingly endless fields, Reliant was elevated. While he knew he wasn't lying, he still needed to see White Deer Park. After all, it was the place where his parents and maybe his grandparents came from. But his mind was still loud with the rushing waterfall of thoughts. Still, it was better than the bleak silence where the only thing that could be heard was the thorns of the thoughts that stabbed him with gulit and regret when they spoke. Reliant was greatful for that.

He came to the town that was before White Deer Park. While Reliant didn't much care for the town itself, he knew of a old fable about a fox who may have been connected with the Farthing Wood legend who came to this town. Trotting through the town, he came across the graveyard that was situated near the middle of the town. Looking at the wall, there was a patch which seemed like a hole did exist there but it didn't now and looking at the graveyard itself through the locked gates, he saw a old, battered earth. After spying a bin, he jumped on that and managed to leap over the wall. Reliant then ran into the earth and settled down. The storm had made it wet but any hole was better than none.

That night, the waterfall was raging still but it had quieted down. Reliant whiffed the earth and a really old scent that barely registered with him came. Someone had been here before.
Strange. The smell... its faint. Very faint
He settled down to some much needed rest and Reliant, for the first time in ages, managed to calm down.
Michael
Site Admin

[ Character Info ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapter V - Desolations

Reliant, the maligned fox, awoke in the graveyard earth the following morning to a cub sniffing his nose. The elder foxs movement caused the cub to yap exciteldly but its mother managed to calm the cub down. The vixen ran up to Reliant to apologise,
"I am sorry!" She quickly remarked, "She can be a handful." Reliant stood up and shook his head,
"Yes, she can. Its not your fault." He then realised something, "Oh. I am sorry, is this your Earth?" The vixen nodded softly,
"It is." Reliant couldn't help but look lovingly at the vixen. Her deep red fur seemed to glimmer in the dusk and her crystal yellow eyes shimmered wherever they looked. His heart was beginnning to race He asked rather slowly, unable to move his eyes away from the vixen,
"What is your name?" The vixen looked at him lovingly,
"Dusk. My name is Dusk" She answered back. Reliant's heart was dying to pop the question but having met only once, it seemed rude. Dusk was faster than him though,
"I am sorry." She hung her head sadly, "I cannot be mates with you. I already have a mate."
Reliant's heart fell but he knew she was right. The faint smell wasn't hers and since she had a cub, it must be her mates. He couldn't bear it, given what had happened over the past few days but he couldn't do anything to change it. Slunking out of the earth, Dusk watched Reliant leave. But he stopped and turned to ask a question,
"Where is White Deer Park?" he asked with a tinge of sadness. Dusk looked at him and replied back,
"A few days stright ahead. You cannot miss it." Reliant lept over the wall and looked through the gates. He watched Dusk greet her mate and then thet dived into the earth, leaving the cub to play outside. With a final sigh, he left.

The animals at the copse had now set off and were making their way to the fields near the town to find Reliant. Although Verdiral was the eldest of the animals, only Fleet knew the area to a degree so he lead the group. Whilst they were making their way, Verdiral could not think of much else than what he accused Reliant of. He had known Reliant for a long time but he couldn't remember much after waking up in his set one day with him and Fleet around him. It agravated him that he couldn't remember but he needed to keep calm for the rest of the animals. Some words kept on floating in his head but he couldn't remember where he heard them. Although he couldn't remember the whole thing, he could remember this:
I promise... oath... wood
"I can smell something!" yelled a familiar voice. Verdiral perked up at saw that they were at a line of bushes. The animals sniffed the area and enventually found the area where the smell was coming from. It was Reliant but they couldn't work out where he went. A nearby rook saw them and spoke out to them,
"You are looking for someone?"
"A fox. Was there one around here?" Asked Verdiral, squinting a tad at the bird.
"Yes..." the bird replied, "There was one here. He asked where White Deer Park was."
Fleet jumped a little,
"I know where that is!" he yelled, "I'll take you!" As they set off, Verdiral looked back at the bird and replied,
"Thank you!"

The animals reached the outer edges of the town within a day. Rather than go through the town and risk injury from humans, the animals opted for the outer edges of the town but they were tired. So they all rested behind a humans fence when a vixen came up to them. She looked kindly at the group but more becuase it was a strange sight rather than pity.
"You all look tired." She remarked. Verdiral gave out a little titter,
"Yes, we all are." She then looked at the group. The vixen just wanted one thing.
"Are you heading somewhere?" She asked softly.
"Yes we are. We are heading to White Deer Park to find a fox called Reliant." Verdiral responded. The vixen gave a slight look of surprise.
"I know him. He was at my earth earlier." The animals perked up and the badger smiled a little. They knew that they were closing in on the fox and closer to releasing the regret.

Later on, the animals were sleeping. Fleet and Verdiral were under a bush and the other animals wer dotted around outside the fence. While they were sleeping, a silent stalker whisked through a nearby bush and ran through the night keeping a eye on the animals. It then stopped and readied itself. The quiet night was suddenly disturbed as a rabbit vanished with a squeak. The animals awoke with a fright but all they noticed was the missing rabbit. Scared, they all crowded together and kept awake looking for the animal that hunted the rabbit. As they did, Fleet quivered to Verdiral,
"I bet it was a Fox!"

The morning came and the animals came to the sight where the rabbit laid down - dead. The animals hung their heads in grief but Fleet noticed a track. It lead to under a bush where a familar sight was found. The vixen was at the end of the tracks and so the animals worked it out. Verdiral poked her and after she yelped with surprise, she growled at the group.
"Why did you wake me?!" She demanded.
"You killed a rabbit in our group!" Verdiral shouted back. The vixen was taken aback by the response,
"I do not care for why you lot travel around together. All you lot are is a walking cache and it is stupid! It is not normal for you lot to be together normally, unless you believe that Farthing Wood myth." She snarled and then worked out something, "If that fox, Reliant, is with you, tell him that he is just as mad the rest of you! Tell him Dusk said that." With that, she marched off but the animals were also worried. If it isn't natural for them to be travelling together, then why are they here? The concern was enough for one of the smaller animals to say,
"That vixen is right! We shouldn't be travelling together. We should all be back at the copse." And with that the smaller animals left the group to head back to the copse, leaving only Fleet and Verdiral to find the fox. They watched the animals leave and pondered over how they were going to find one fox in a big park on their own. It worried Fleet and made Verdiral again sick with regret. They had to find Reliant.
Michael
Site Admin

[ Character Info ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapter VI - When all is done...

Dusk... what a pretty name. So... so delicate. No wonder shes already got a mate...
Dawn sprung from the ground as Reliant was drifiting in and out of sleep. The lack of any good food in 2 days was beginning to get to him. That plus the exhaustion he felt. Shelter was also lacking as he couldn't find any that he could use. However, with his resolution to find out what had happened to White Deer Park, he battled onwards. His vision was blurry and he was starving but he marched on all the same.

Reliant was beginning to stumble about. He was sure that no fox could survive the trip but then it whacked into something - something hard causing him to fall. Looking up wearily, he saw a sign. The sign turned out to be a White Deer.
White... deer. White Deer... White Deer Park!
"I've found it!" he exclaimed. Standing up in a haste, he bundled himself into the park. Finally, the worries over the past week would either be over or worsened. Reliant just hoped for the best.

Venturing forth into the park, he sniffed the air and the ground. The recent storm had caused a lot of scents to be mixed up. While Reliant was sure he could smell burnt stuff, he couldn't say wherever or not it was part of the park. Looking around, there were no animals.
"No animals... where are they?" He asked to himself but unable to keep up the pace, he started to become wary again. Then something changed. He wasn't sure but the smells, the look of the park had changed, changed into something sinister. Scared, he wasn't sure what to do. Should he go forwards and face the parks truth or should he about face and do nothing. Reliant really wanted to go but he wanted to go backwards as well.
I... I can't. What if it was too horrible? I can't really see what Fleet told me... or could I?
Boldly, he moved.

Days passed and the now bi-group, Fleet and Verdiral, were still pressing on to find the fox. To pass the time, they talked about certain things. It landed on the subject of what Fleet saw.
"How do you cope with the thought?" quizzed the old badger. Fleet was hesititant with his answer,
"I don't always. White Deer Park never has held much with me." Verdiral was surprised,
"Your parents come from there! Surely you must think of that?" he replied. Fleet just shook his head,
"I travel out of the copse every so often. I've seen burnt areas before. Sure, they are a tragedy but we are animals, what do we do? My parents didn't mention it much anyway." he answered. He then realised where they were,
"We are at the border... theres the fence." He announced. Verdiral moved to the sign and pondered at it.
I am sure I've seen it before...
Then a whimpering noise started to echo through the trees. Fleet and Verdiral went into the park and found what they had been looking for. Reliant was cowering behind some rocks. Fleet moved quickly up to him,
"You've seen it, haven't you?" he asked quietly. Reliants tear ridden face nodded mournfully. Verdiral started to drift from the pair and his wondering eventually led him to the parks main area. Fleet ran quickly to get him but it was too late. Verdiral sat down on the ground and fearfully said,
"T...Tell Reliant that I... I am sorry..." Fleet turned around to get Reliant but he was at the scene already. Sitting down next to Verdiral, he stammered,
"...A...Accepted".

The howl of pain started. White Deer Park was now mostly a barren land. The smell of dead plants reeked the air and still some smoke drifted up into the cold air. The lushous green landscape was replaced with a cold, dark grey/black/brown wasteland. The water was also a murky grey colour as well. It was no wonder Reliant could find no animals. None could have survived a blaze like this or even wanted to live here after this.

The town was quiet with a calm but then the howl came through the town, echoing through it quickly. Dusk heard this and she quickly left her Earth. She came to the top of the graveyard wall and realised whos voice it was. Her head hung sorrowfully as she knew what the call meant.
"Keep quiet!" yelled a human from a window. Dusk looked at it and growled slightly.
"Ignorant things..." she muttered to herself as she headed for her Earth to get some more sleep although she did wonder about what would happen to them the following day.
LadyFox
Site Admin

[ Character Info ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww, that's so sad, the old earth of Bold and Whisper Sad. And to think that they went all that way to find a desolate wasteland.... And it was a shame about Dusk already with a mate, poor Reliant. I'm sorry that I haven't been posting about my responses to your chapters, really I am.

Is there anymore to this story? Because it would be a terrible shame to end it at this point. It feels hollow were it's at now, not to mention oppressing. Fox Grin

Michael
Site Admin

[ Character Info ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyFox wrote:
Aww, that's so sad, the old earth of Bold and Whisper Sad. And to think that they went all that way to find a desolate wasteland.... And it was a shame about Dusk already with a mate, poor Reliant. I'm sorry that I haven't been posting about my responses to your chapters, really I am.

Is there anymore to this story? Because it would be a terrible shame to end it at this point. It feels hollow were it's at now, not to mention oppressing. Fox Grin

Oh yeah...
I ain't leaving the story until all the questions are answered, not just the main one!
LadyFox
Site Admin

[ Character Info ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
LadyFox wrote:

Oh yeah...
I ain't leaving the story until all the questions are answered, not just the main one!

Yaay!! I can't wait! Very Happy Oh, and just to bring up a point, you've got quite a few spelling mistakes, such as: "Grateful" Lol! Just thought I'd let you know! Fox Grin But keep it up, your keeping me in suspense. Smile

Michael
Site Admin

[ Character Info ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapter VII - The mind's eye

Days had gone by and Reliant, Verdiral and Fleet, the three animals from the copse, had not left what remained of White Deer Park. Each to their own, they were saddened in different ways but they knew that soon they had to return to the copse. However, none of the three animals wanted to leave with Verdiral being the most reluctant. Figments of memories that seemingly belonged to White Deer Park kept on surfacing but he couldn't put the thoughts together. Fleet, the hare, wanted to help so while they were at White Deer Park, they walked and talked about the memories.
"How do they appear?" asked Fleet. Verdiral was confused. Some were voices, others were visual pictures. However, since honesty is always the best policy, he gave the answer,
"Some are voices, others are pictures."
"Do any make sense?" Fleet returned.
"No, not really. The only stable memory of any of it is White Deer Park... well, was" Verdiral started.
I wish I remember....
Fleet didn't really want to push the badger but he wanted to help.
"Verdiral... do you remember the fall?" He asked nervously. Verdiral strained to remember,
"I remember waking up to you and Reliant around me.", he stopped, "I wish I remembered the actual fall." Fleet looked on forlornly... he could.

Reliant was walking around the park. Although miserable, he took some comefort in the idea that this was his parents home, burnt or not. The place seemed like home and probably was at one point, but not now. Humans had ruined it. He then saw a rock. It was a diagonal rock not unlike the one he used to originally announce the discovery of White Deer Park. Coming up to it, it definitaly looked familiar and climbing it did also. Then, the fox almost fell off the rock in a daze. He had a flashback of sorts and could see it clearly as he was living.
What the? Is this real?
"Come on Reliant!" A feminine voice called. Reliant shook himself and realised that he had no control over what he did. He looked up and sped to some ghostly grey figures. Not remembering who they were made the Fox feel dizzy again.
"You really need to come away from there. You could hurt yourself dear."
Dear?!
"Sorry mother." Reliant mumbled back.
Mother?!
Suddenly, the flash ended and Reliant realised that he had not moved anywhere. Still, the park was a burnt place and he was still near the pointed rock. Reliant tried his best to remember past that but nothing. Why couldn't he remember?

The evening came and the two biggest animals came together with loose ends. Neither had answers for each other. Fleet was also with them but he carried a burden on him.
"We cannot stay here" Verdiral started, "With no food and little clean water, we simply cannot survive here". Relaint was hesitant at making a reply. Simply put, he didn't want to leave, not with his memory fragmented. Fleet looked at the solemn pair. He could neither tell the truth nor tell them what they wanted to hear.
"Verdiral is right. We must leave." The old badger nodded his head with agreement but the relatively young fox stayed still.
My mother was here... my family was here... I was here. Why can I not remember them properly?
"Are we leaving?" Fleet asked quickly. The old memories haunted him so.
We cannot, we mustn't...
"Yes." The fox uttered.

With that, the trio left. For one, the haunts may leave him but for the others, fragments could only could their minds. They had to find the solution...
Michael
Site Admin

[ Character Info ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapter VIII - An assassin comes

The smaller animals, who had left Verdiral and Fleet during their search for Reliant, has made it back to the copse with good time. However, they were restless. The events that had stirred over the last couple of days had caused not only tension but divide within the group. Some of the animals didn't believe they even came from White Deer Park and so rejected the idea. Others believed they did and so wanted to be sure but it would be impossible to find out.

A rabbit called Hector was quitely eating away with his bothers and sisters. The season was warm enough to warrent a good run around but he didn't do so. He originally did not care about what the bigger animals were upto so long as it wasn't casuing a problem with him but now something had changed. A cry had been heard the night they got back to the copse and that was also the day that a sister of his got killed. Similar feelings were shared agmonst the family. No one could rest.

That evening, the remaining animals gathered at the clearing. The matters they had to discuss were something that only a couple of days ago would have meant very little to them.
"E...Excuse me." stammered Hector. The animals became quiet.
"W...We all know why we are here." The rabbit continued. A murmur of agreement came from the group. Hector just became more nervous.
"The... The bigger animals have been gone for days. O..Our venture i...into the town has lost us a member of thi...this copse." Hector nervously pointed out. The animals were getting restless.
"Your point?!" Called a member of the group.
"We...We need to... learn how to defend for ourselves." Hector finished. A silence fell on the group. Although he may not have said it, Hector was right. The larger animals had gone and the last that was heard of them was that of Verdiral and Fleet from the town. Without them, the smaller animals really didn't stand a chance if they were attacked. The best thing would have been for the animals to split up and try to defend for themselves.

Then, a lightening strke hit every one of the animals nerves as a rustle came from the bushes. Backing away slowly, the animals were too frightened to move. Suddenly, a head popped out from the bushes. It was Dusk, the vixen that had not only killed one of their rabbits but the same animal that had caused the inital upset within the group. The animals made a break for it and within seconds, they had all disappeared. Dusk crawled through the bush and looked around her.
"Where are they?" she muttered to herself as she started off with the intent of looking for the animals.

The animals sped to all corners of the copse. Frightened that the vixen was going to kill them, they hid in every hole and burrow that they could find. One group of animals, including Hector, found Relaints old earth. Making haste, they dived in and hid within the shadows. For a moment, all was still. The noise of the vixen came and with every inch the animals grew more afriad. Suddenly, Dusk's tail could be seen sweeping around the entrance. The animals, including Hector, a shrew and a couple of fieldmice crouched down, hoping Dusk couldn't see them. She didn't need to, the smell was enough to draw her into the earth. The faint smell of Reliant made her somewhat feel at home.
"Listen, I am not here to kill you." Dusk started. The animals rejected that statement. "I came here to..." she fluttered for a second, "...join you." The fieldmice and the shrew looked up at Hector. As their newly appointed leader of sorts, he was the only option available to them. He hopped forwards slowly.
"W...W...Why should w...we let you?" He stammered, "Y...You k...killed my... sister!" Dusk just looked at him with slight distaste.
"Look, I still think your 'group' is a walking food store but if you want to be as vunerable as that, you need some protection." Dusk countered. Hector just beame more concerned. He couldn't let his sisters murderer into the group... could he? Dusk became impatient,
"I could leave, but how could you protect yourselves without splitting yourselves up? Face it, you all need me." Hector shrunk back, convinced he was going to regret this,
"...Ok...Y...You can join us." Dusk smiled but no one in the group trusted her. They all left quickly. Dusk then gathered herself up in Reliant's earth to sleep.

"You did what?!" Shouted a vole, "That vixen is a murderer! She killed your sister!"
"I know!" shouted Hector with rage not normally seen in a docile rabbit. It took the animals by surprise, "Yes, she killed my sister but that vixen is the only real protection we have as a group." The vole was still not convinced, "That vixen is very sly I tell you. When you are not watching, snap, she'll get you." With that, the animals disbanded to their homes. Hector was left with a penintratingly sore thought. If the vole was right... she could just... erase the group off the Earth. Hector wanted the bigger animals back.

Chapter IX - The coming of history

As the time spent away from the animals gew longer, the three animals, Reliant, Fleet and Verdiral, were making their way home. After suffering the shoch of the sights of White Deer Park, conversation was scarse at best. The dark fobidding weather failed to lift spirirts, rather down them. The only thing that was keeping the trio going was the idea that the copse, no matter what had happened in the past, was home and they were drawing to it.

As they followed the the trail that they had took when they were heading to White Deer Park, Relaints thoughts began to buzz again. The memories that had surprised him at the rock face within the park was alive but fading again. Although he had a good feeling whenever he thought about his mother, visual memories failed him. It annoyed the fox

Why can't I remember my own mother?

Fleet noticed the fox's anguish but only in passing. He held a memory within that was neither pretty nor wanted yet he knew what the memory meant for him, the fox and the badger. With every moment, it gnawed at him to tell the pair but he couldn't. The hare was a tortured soul yet he was able to present a 'normal' fascade.

Should I tell them? Must I?

Verdiral was the relativly calm one. Although the weeks had taken its toll, physically, he was fine. His only wish was that his memory returned to him. The fragments came to him in various lights but the sticking one was the mention of a oath. Even then, he couldn't truely remember what had been said. Unlike Fleet, he could cope. It wasn't as fresh as Fleets, so it lacked bite... for the moment.

Oath? I promised no oath... did I?

The evening came and the travelling had brought the trio to a set of bushes about a mile outside the park. As they settled down for a rest, the troublesome park returned to the minds and mouths of the animals
"How is it that we both have patchy memories of White Deer Park?" asked Verdiral to Reliant. The fox did not reply. He was still trying to patch his back together. Verdiral tried again,
"I mean, what is the last memory you have of White Deer Park?". Reliant looked up at Verdiral and replied,
"A faded memory of what I guess is my mother and siblings. We were walking close to the rock face." Fleet's heart missed a beat. He knew what as coming next.
"I just rejoined them when it all goes blank." Relaint sighed. Verdiral looked on at the fox and decided to persue the matter no more. Fleet remained very quiet, hoping that nothing more would be spoken of the matter.

Dreaming was hard when the animal dreaming had what could be described as nightmares when it came to family members. So when Reliant started to dream about the memory again, it became hard. However, something had changed...

"Come on Relaint!" Called a feminine voice. Waking up from a daydream, Relaint sped back to this time what was definatly his siblings.
"You really need to come away from there. You could hurt yourself dear." Spoke the feminine voice. This time, the shadow, still lacking definition, had colour.
"Sorry mother." mumbled the little cub as he moved forwards to just beside the shadows back legs. Surprisingly, Verdiral appeared in front of them all of a sudden. He looked younger...
"Ah, Chival. How are you my dear?" Spoke the badger. The name had sparked a memory and the shadowy figure suddenly became a vixen.
"Fine. My cubs will soon start to learn how to hunt and..." Said the mother proudly but was interuptted by a strange, fast-paced sound. It became louder and Chival darted a look around the area. She and her children were quite close, but safely away from a ledge. Suddenly, a young Fleet burst through a bush at much to fast a speed and wasn't paying attention to the path before him.
"Yay! I am the..." Fleet smashed into Chival and broke the vixens balence causing her to stumble towards the edge. For a moment, it seemed Chival would stay but then the pair vanished. A cry could be heard as Reliant looked over edge but all he saw was his mother and the hare at the bottom on the ground. The other cubs darted for the earth but Relaint stayed, paralyzed with fear. Fleet groggially got up but Chival did not. Verdiral looked over the edge too. He called out,
"We are coming!" Reliant then stretched out his paws towards his mother, hoping that she'll come up and get them. Verdiral stetched over and tried to get the cubs paws back to safety.
"Put your..." Verdiral started then he lost his footing and fell too, landing on his back with a almighty thud. Reliant darted for a path that he saw and within moments was at the bottom end of the cutting. He ran instinatively to his mother but she did not move. A groan could then be heard from the badger so the cub moved over to Verdiral where he and Fleet stood over him. Verdiral tried to get up but he had a sore head and so could not move very far.

Then, a ping of sound from the fallen vixen alerted the animals. With varying speeds, the animals crowded around the vixen and then she spoke,
"Dear..." Chival started, "...be a good boy for me?" Reliant quickly nodded. The vixen then looked at Verdiral,
"Verdiral, my dear friend... teach my children the oath of Farthing Wood, a... as my parents taught me." Verdiral whispered in her ear,
"I promise to teach them the oath of Farthing Wood."

A smile came to Chival and then life left her.

Reliant awoke very suddenly to the depth of the night and immendently locked his eyes, filled with hatred, at Fleet. To Reliant, Fleet has murdered his mother and he wanted revenge. The fox got up and silently came around the back of the hare. So angry was the fox, he was prepared to kill Fleet. Reliant wanted vengeance.
LadyFox
Site Admin

[ Character Info ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww, that's so sad! Sad Poor Reliant, to lose your mother to a ruddy hare of all creatures. <_< Very tense.

Michael
Site Admin

[ Character Info ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="LadyFox"]Awww, that's so sad! Sad Poor Reliant, to lose your mother to a ruddy hare of all creatures. <_< Very tense.[/quote]
Yeah, its quite saddening. Does explain a lot of the background though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aofw.Org Forum Index -> The Animals of Farthing Wood All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: